Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
Shop in 1907.
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum is a historic apothecary shop in Alexandria, Virginia. During its working life, the drug company was owned by generations of a Quaker family. A dramatic decline in sales during the Great Depression forced the shop to close its doors. Almost immediately, in 1939, it was reopened as a museum. The museum displays thousands of artifacts, precisely on the shelves where they were when the store closed. The store still features antebellum gothic revival furnishing. The second floor contains a former warehouse room used for events, and a manufacturing room, where medicines were made for retail and wholesale. Like the historic retail space on the main floor, the manufacturing room is practically untouched since 1933.