The Octagon House
The Octagon is supposedly one of the most haunted buildings in D.C.
The Octagon House, also known as the Colonel John Tayloe III House, is located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington, D.C. It is purported to be one of the most haunted homes in D.C. It was built in 1799 for Colonel John Tayloe III, a wealthy plantation owner. It was was originally constructed to be a winter residence for the Tayloe family, but they lived in the house year-round from 1818–1855.
The three-story brick house, adapted to an irregular-shaped lot, displays a dramatic break with the traditional, late Georgian and early Federal house planning that preceded it. In 1970, it opened as a museum, and in the early 1990s it was restored to its 1817–18 era appearance. Today, the museum is administered by the American Institute of Architects Foundation, and offers self-guided tours, permanent and changing exhibitions, public programming, and guided tours by appointment.
Apparitions and the presence of otherworldly forces have reportedly been seen and felt in many places at The Octagon, including on the spiral staircase, the second floor landing, the third floor landing, the third floor bedroom, and the garden area in the rear. Among the eyewitnesses have been members of the public, curators, and other employees hired by the museum.