- City Guides
Caledonia Grand Trunk Station
1 Grand Trunk Lane, Caledonia, ON N3W 2G6
Caledonia railway station was built in 1908 by the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada. In August 1996 CN Raill filed notice to abandon and demolish the station, and subsequently sell off the land on which it stood. Ron Clark of Caledonia purchased the station and donated it to the Special Projects Committee of the Caledonia & Regional Chamber of Commerce, which then formed a Grand Trunk Station Society to maintain the building. Extensive work was done, including new foundations, roof, and restoring the original beige and park Green wooden siding from the Grand Trunk era. The official opening of the newly restored station was held November 27, 1997.
The restored station now accommodates a Grand Trunk Railway Museum, offices for the Caledonia & Regional Chamber of Commerce, and a meeting room for community organizations.
The museum includes "local railway artifacts, displays and an operating 'G scale model train," according to the website.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Caledonia railway station", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.