- City Guides
317 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M5T 1G4
The Grange is a historic Georgian manor in downtown Toronto. It was the first home of the Art Museum of Toronto. Today, it is part of the Art Gallery of Ontario.
The structure was built in 1817, making it the 12th oldest surviving building in Toronto and the oldest remaining brick house. Additions were made in the 1840s and 1885. The latter additions included a large library and an angular Victorian-style oak staircase.
In 1902, the owners bequeathed The Grange as the first location of the Art Museum of Toronto. By 1966, The Art Museum of Toronto was renamed the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) and The Grange now sits on the south side of the larger AGO building.
Today, The Grange houses the Norma Ridley Members’ Lounge and exhibit spaces. While it is no longer furnished as a historic house depicting the 1830s, it retains its historic roots and architectural integrity.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "The Grange (Toronto)", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.