- City Guides
270 Sherman Ave N, Hamilton, ON L8L 6N4
Cotton Factory is an historic industrial complex formerly known as The Imperial Cotton Company Limited in the industrial north end of Hamilton, Canada. The complex has been renamed the Cotton Factory and is repurposed for small manufacturing and office space for creative professionals. The five buildings on the site were built in 1900 and stand today in their original structures. It is one of the few historic complexes built in the late 19th to early 20th century that remain today in Hamilton, Ontario.
The mill building, which housed 1,220 spinning spindles, 3,735 spindles, 98 duck looms and looms for the manufacture of cotton drayer felts, is constructed out of brick and timbre with "slow burning" wood beams positioned across the 30,000 square feet of space on the second and third floor Mill.
Next to the Mill Building is a smokestack that was used by three original boiler systems. Adjacent to the smokestack is a storage warehouse that was originally used for sorting, painting, finishing, shipping and waterproofing cotton. Centre of the mill courtyard is the Mills Arts Building, which was a later addition to the 270 Sherman complex and used today for artists to work their private units. Occupants of the building include professional artists that do photography, oil painting, sculpturing and designing to name a few.
The Cotton Factory is also a popular location for film and television productions. Its exteriors have been used for scenes from the mid-1800s to modern day and even future apocalypses.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "270 Sherman", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.