- City Guides
Campbell House Museum
160 Queen St. West, Toronto, ON M5H 3H3
Campbell House is an 1822 heritage house and museum in downtown Toronto. It was built for Upper Canada Chief Justice Sir William Campbell and his wife Hannah. The home was designed for entertaining and comfort, and constructed at a time when the Campbells were socially and economically established and their children had grown to adulthood. The house is one of the few remaining examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto and is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture.
The home is owned by the City of Toronto. It serves as both a historic house museum and a club for the members of the Advocates Society. The museum also includes an art gallery. The home has also displayed outdoor exhibitions, including the 2013 show by Canadian contemporary artist Harley Valentine, titled Barbarians at the Gate.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Campbell House (Toronto)", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.