fbpx Ulysses S Grant National Historic Site | The Steampunk Explorer

Ulysses S Grant National Historic Site

7400 Grant Road, St. Louis, MO 63123

Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site is a 9.65-acre site located 10 miles southwest of downtown St. Louis. The site, also known as White Haven, commemorates the life, military career, and Presidency of Ulysses S. Grant. Five historic structures are preserved at the site including the childhood home of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant. White Haven was a plantation worked by slaves at the time Grant was married to his wife in 1848 and remained so until the end of the Civil War. The property was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986. In 1989, White Haven became a part of the National Park Service, and is currently one of more than 400 sites managed by that agency.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.