- City Guides
Gas Works Park
3300 Meridian Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103
Two of the remaining towers at Gas Works Park, seen from the south.
Gas Works Park is located on the site of the former Seattle Gas Light Company gasification plant. It contains remnants of the plant, which operated from 1906 to 1956. The park is composed of seven areas: Earth Mound, North Lawn, Towers, Prow, Picnic Lawn and Shelter, Play Barn, and South Lawn.
The Towers, Play Barn, and Picnic Shelter are adapted from the original manufacturing structures. The Picnic Shelter was the plant's boiler house, and tubes from one boiler are still in place. The Play Barn was the pump house, and most of the pumps, compressors, and piping remain. There are two groups of towers, the first built in the 1930s and the second in the 1940s.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Gas Works Park", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.