- City Guides
3300 Tripp Road, Woodside, CA 94062
The Woodside Store was constructed in 1854 by two early pioneers named Robert Orville Tripp and Mathias Parkhurst. It was, for a time, the only general store and stagecoach stop between San Francisco and Santa Clara. The store sold everything from food to construction supplies and also served as a post office, bank, saloon and dentist office. The store was operated by Tripp until his death in 1909, at the age of 93. The museum of the Woodside Store has been restored to its 1880s appearance, and you can see the types of goods available in that time period. Tours of the museum are arranged through the Woodside Store School Program. Non-school groups can call the museum to schedule a tour. It's maintained and operated by the San Mateo County Historical Association.
Legend has it that Tripp had a very large dog that would follow him and they are photographed together. It has been rumored that there is a ghost of his dog, haunting the Woodside Store.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Woodside Store", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.