- City Guides
Edward Steves Homestead
509 King William St., San Antonio, TX 78204
The Edward Steves Homestead.
The Edward Steves Homestead was the home of a 19th century San Antonio city alderman who also owned a lumber company. It consists of four structures: the main house museum, the carriage house, the river house, and the servants' quarters. The main house, completed in 1877, was fairly modern for its time, with a telephone line, electric lighting and running water. It was designed by Alfred Giles in the French Second Empire style. The grounds, exterior and interior were restored in 1954 as a museum with period furniture. Yale University donated an antique 1857 Chickering and Sons grand piano. The property is owned and operated by the San Antonio Conservation Society.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Edward Steves Homestead", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.