Folsom Powerhouse State Historic Park
Upper House Alternator Governor, Belt Pulley input.
Folsom Powerhouse State Historic Park is a historical site preserving an 1895 alternating current (AC) hydroelectric power station, one of the first in the United States. Before the Folsom powerhouse was built, nearly all electric power houses were using direct current (DC) generators powered by steam engines located within a few miles of where the power was needed. The Folsom Powerhouse, using part of the American River's rushing water, generated 11,000 volts transmitted to Sacramento over a 22-mile-long distribution line, one of the longest electrical distribution lines in the United States at the time.
The powerhouse still includes much of the original equipment. The site is managed by the California Dept. of Parks and Recreation.