- City Guides
Historic Fort Steuben
120 S. 3rd Street, Steubenville, OH 43952
Fort Steuben was a fortification erected in present day Steubenville, Ohio in the 18th century to provide protection from Indians for the first surveyors to venture into the Northwest Territory. The fort was destroyed by fire in 1790, and not rebuilt. In 1797, Bezaleel Wells founded the city of Steubenville on the site. A replica of the fort and visitors center have been constructed on the site as a tourist attraction that also includes the original Steubenville Federal Land Office.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Fort Steuben", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.