Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden, formerly the Abigail Adams Smith Museum, is a historic antebellum residential building near the East River, in New York City. One of only eight surviving pre-1800 buildings in Manhattan, the hotel was originally built as a carriage house and stable in 1799 for a nearby estate. The Colonial Dames of America purchased the site in 1924 and in 1939 opened it to the public as the Abigail Adams Smith Museum. The museum tells the story of New York City’s tremendous period of growth following the completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, one year before the Mount Vernon Hotel opened. Tours, public programs and other educational programs are offered.
The museum is one of the landmarks on the "Steampunk Map of New York City" compiled by local steampunks.