- City Guides
W.W. Mayo House
118 N Main St, Le Sueur, MN 56058
The Dr. William W. Mayo House in Le Sueur, Minnesota, was built in 1859 by James Mayo and his brother William Worrall Mayo. William Worrall Mayo emigrated from the United Kingdom to the United States in 1846 and became a doctor. William's older son, William James Mayo, was born in the home in 1861. William W. Mayo and his sons, William and Charles, later founded the medical practice that became the Mayo Clinic.
The home was later occupied by Carson Nesbit Cosgrove, who in 1903 presided at the organizational meeting of the Minnesota Valley Canning Company (later renamed Green Giant), becoming a pioneer of canning in the Minnesota River valley. The house is a state historic site managed by the Nicollet County Historical Society in partnership with the Minnesota Historical Society. The house has been restored and furnished to appear as in 1860. The Mayoview History Center, located in a separate building, features exhibits about the Mayo family, St. Mary's Hospital and the Mayo Clinic.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Dr. William W. Mayo House", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.