Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
The Fort Collins Museum of Discovery is a partnership of two educational institutions that merged in 2008.
The Fort Collins Museum began as the Pioneer Museum in 1941 and evolved into a regional center focusing on area history and culture. Its collection totaled over 30,000 artifacts, including materials from the Lindenmeier Archaeological Site north of Fort Collins.
Discovery Science Center was founded in 1989 with a mission to provide hands-on explorations in science and technology.
After the merger, the museum re-opened to the public on November 10, 2012 as the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery. It features 16,000 square feet of permanent and changing gallery space, two fully outfitted classrooms, an expanded Local History Archive, and a digital dome theater. The museum provides hands-on explorations in science and technology and houses both historical and scientifically themed exhibits relevant to Fort Collins and the northern Colorado area.