Mystic Seaport Museum
Street in Mystic Seaport, masts of Charles W. Morgan in background.
Mystic Seaport is the largest maritime museum in the United States. It is notable for its collection of sailing ships and boats and for the re-creation of the crafts and fabric of an entire 19th-century seafaring village. It consists of more than 60 historic buildings, most of them rare commercial structures moved to the 19-acre site and meticulously restored. They include a chandlery, sail loft, ropewalk, cooperage, shipping agent's office, printing office, bank, and others. Also included is The Spouter Tavern, open seasonally and serving "travelers' fare."
The museum was established in 1929 as the "Marine Historical Association." Its fame came with the acquisition of the Charles W. Morgan in 1941, the only surviving wooden sailing whaler.