- City Guides
Stacy's Tavern Museum
557 Geneva Rd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Stacy's Tavern is a historic wayside stagecoach inn in the village of Glen Ellyn in DuPage County. Among the settlers coming to northern Illinois following the Black Hawk War in 1832 were Moses Stacy and his family. Stacy often opened his home as a boarding house for passing travelers, so when he constructed his new home in 1846 he opened it as a wayside inn. Stagecoach travelers moving between Chicago and Galena, area farmers heading to market in Chicago, and settlers moving westward farther still all made use of Stacy's Tavern. The Village of Glen Ellyn purchased the property in 1968, and along with the Glen Ellyn Historical Society restored it to the state of a typical tavern inn of the late 1840s. In 1976 Glen Ellyn opened Stacy's Tavern to the public as a museum as part of the town's contribution to the American bicentennial.
The museum is open from April through mid-December. The Glen Ellyn History Center is nearby at 800 N. Main St.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Stacy's Tavern", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.