- City Guides
Ellwood House Museum
509 North First Street, DeKalb, IL 60115
The Ellwood House was built as a private home by barbed wire entrepreneur Isaac Ellwood in 1879. The Victorian style home, designed by George O. Garnsey, underwent remodeling in 1898-1899 and 1911. In 1964 the home was donated to the city of DeKalb and converted into a museum. The site contains four buildings in addition to the main house. A visitor's center includes a barbed wire gallery, carriage gallery, special exhibits gallery, and a gift shop.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Ellwood House", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.