fbpx Old State House | The Steampunk Explorer

Old State House

206 Washington St., Dover, DE 02109

Old Statehouse is a historic state capitol building located on The Green at Dover, Delaware. It was built between 1787 and 1792, and is a two-story, five bay, brick structure in a Middle Georgian style. The front facade features a fanlight over the center door and above it a Palladian window at the center of the second floor. It has a shingled side gabled roof topped with an octagonal cupola. A number of attached wings were added between 1836 and 1926. From 1792 to 1932 it was the sole seat of State government, while from 1792 until 1873 it served also as Kent County Court House. The state house was remodeled in 1873 to reflect a Victorian style and restored in 1976 to its original appearance.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Old State House (Dover, Delaware)", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.