- City Guides
Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
479 Washington Street, Duxbury, MA 02331
The Duxbury Rural and Historical Society (DRHS) is a non-profit organization in Duxbury, Massachusetts founded in 1883. Its mission is to "preserve and promote the heritage and rural character of the town of Duxbury and its environs." The DRHS owns several historic buildings, operates a library and archives, and maintains approximately 140 acres of conservation land in Duxbury. The headquarters and main office, open year-round, is located in the Nathaniel Winsor, Jr. House, a historic building built in 1807. The King Caesar House, built in 1809 for merchant Ezra Weston II, is operated as a museum in the summer months and features rotating exhibits. The 1808 Capt. Gershom Bradford House is also operated as a museum in the summer months. The organization's newest facility, the Drew Archival Library, contains the Society's collection of historic documents and photographs, is located in the 1909 Wright Memorial Library and is open to researchers year-round. All four of these buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Duxbury Rural and Historical Society", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.