Surratt House Museum

9118 Brandywine Rd., Clinton, MD 20735

The Surratt House is a historic house and house museum in Prince George's County, Maryland. The house is named for John and Mary Surratt, who built it in 1852. Mary Surratt was hanged in 1865 for being a co-conspirator in the Abraham Lincoln assassination. It was opened to the public as a museum in 1976. It is devoted to mid-19th century Maryland life and the Abraham Lincoln assassination, especially to conspiracy theories surrounding the Lincoln assassination which tend to exonerate Surratt. Some of the furniture and decorative artworks in the house are originals owned by Mary Surratt. The James O. Hall Research Center is located there.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Surratt House Museum", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.