Harpers Ferry National Historical Park

171 Shoreline Drive, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
Shenandoah Street

Historically preserved Shenandoah Street in Harpers Ferry.

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park is located at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers in and around Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. The park consists of almost 4,000 acres in Jefferson County, West Virginia; Washington County, Maryland and Loudoun County, Virginia. The park includes the historic town of Harpers Ferry, notable as a center of 19th century industry and as the scene of John Brown's abolitionist uprising.

Meriwether Lewis procured most of the weaponry and associated hardware for the Lewis and Clark Expedition at the armory in Harpers Ferry. Blacksmiths also built a collapsible iron boat frame for the expedition. Between 1820 and 1840, John H. Hall worked to perfect the manufacturing of interchangeable parts at the armory, making it a birthplace of precision manufacturing.

The Lower Town Historic District of Harpers Ferry includes many points of interest, including several historical museums that occupy restored 19th century buildings. These sites are clustered where the Shenandoah River meets the Potomac River, and run along Shenandoah Street, Potomac Street and High Street. The Visitor Center is located at 171 Shoreline Drive, off US Route 340. Shuttle buses between the Visitor Center and Lower Town Historic District operate daily when the park is open.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Harpers Ferry National Historical Park", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.