The Textile Museum
The Textile Museum, now housed at the George Washington University, was established in 1925 by George Hewitt Myers, a rug and textile collector and connoisseur. It began with a collection of 275 rugs and 60 related textiles drawn from the traditions of non-Western cultures. At the time of his death in 1957, his collection numbered 500 rugs and 3,500 textiles. Since then, the museum has broadened its holdings to better represent the full spectrum of non-Western textile arts.
Today the museum's collections number more than 19,000 objects and span 5,000 years, dating from 3,000 B.C.E. to the present. In 2011, it was announced that The Textile Museum would join with The George Washington University to become the cornerstone of a new museum on GW’s main campus in Foggy Bottom. The new museum opened the public on March 21, 2015.