Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

11 N 4th Street, St. Louis, MO 63102

The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial is near the starting point of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It was designated as a National Memorial on December 21, 1935, and is maintained by the National Park Service. The park was established to commemorate the Louisiana Purchase; the first civil government west of the Mississippi; and the debate over slavery raised by the Dred Scott case. The memorial includes a 91-acre park, the Old Courthouse,; and, most notably, the Gateway Arch. The Old Courthouse, which saw the origins of the Dred Scott case, serves as the Welcome Center. It was Missouri's tallest habitable building from 1864 to 1894.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.