Pope House Museum
The Pope House Museum, built in 1901, is a restored home once owned by Dr. M.T. Pope, a prominent African-American citizen of Raleigh. Since the early 19th century, the area where the Pope House is located has gone through many transformations. When Reverend Henry Tupper moved Shaw University to the neighborhood in 1870, many new African-American residents settled in the area. Pope attended Leonard School of Medicine at Shaw University and later returned to the area, establishing a medical practice and building the house. Pope installed the latest technology in his home, including combination gas and electric fixtures and a call bell system. Due to voting restrictions passed in 1900, he was one of only seven African-Americans in Raleigh eligible to vote, and in 1919 he ran for mayor.
Today, the house is in the shadows of skyscrapers that were built in the 1980s and 1990s. It includes many original furnishings and historical artifacts. It is managed by Raleigh Parks and Recreation, which offers regular tours.