Wagner Free Institute of Science

1700 West Montgomery Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19121
Second-floor Hall

Second-floor Hall of the Wagner Free Institute of Science.

Photo credit: By Joseph Elliott, HABS photographer. [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

The Wagner Free Institute of Science is a natural history museum in North Philadelphia. Founded in 1855, it is a rare surviving example of a Victorian era scientific society, with a museum, research center, library, and educational facilities. Its buildings, developed between 1859 and 1901, present the collections of founder William Wagner in the style of the period, and have been designated a National Historic Landmark for their architecture and state of preservation.

This description includes material adapted from the Wikipedia article "Wagner Free Institute of Science", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0. It has been edited for brevity and to conform with the style of this website. The edited description is distributed under the terms of the same Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 license.