Historic Fort Snelling
Fort Snelling, originally known as Fort Saint Anthony, was a military fortification located at the confluence of Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers in Hennepin County, Minnesota. The Army founded Fort Saint Anthony in 1819. The Minnesota Historical Society now runs the fort, located atop a bluff along the river. The society has converted the area of the fort into an educational establishment, rebuilt to resemble its original appearance, and staffed during the spring, summer and early fall with costumed personnel interpreting life at the early post.