Cabot's Pueblo Museum
Cabot's Pueblo Museum (also known as Cabot's Old Indian Pueblo Museum, Cabot's Trading Post and Yerxa's Discovery) is a historic house museum located in Desert Hot Springs, California. It contains artworks, artifacts of American Indian and Alaska Native cultures, and memorabilia of early desert homesteader life.
The house and surrounding structures were self-built by Cabot Abram Yerxa (1883-1965), an early 20th-century homesteader in the Coachella Valley. Yerxa was an adventurer who first settled on the 160-acre plot in 1913. After 24 years of construction, and fashioning it as a Hopi Indian pueblo in honor of the Indian people, Yerxa opened "Cabot's Old Indian Pueblo" in 1945.
The centerpiece of the complex is a large, Hopi-style pueblo. The main building is a four-story, 5000 square foot structure with 35 rooms, 150 windows, 65 doors and 30 different roof levels. The pueblo and all the outbuildings on the site were built primarily from scrap wood and sheet metal all scavenged from the surrounding desert by Yerxa. It has a system of vents and shafts built into the walls to keep it cool in the summer.