Steamship William G. Mather Maritime Museum
'Steamship William G. Mather' Dock 32, just west of the East Ninth Street Pier.
The Steamship William G. Mather is a retired Great Lakes bulk freighter now restored as a museum ship in Cleveland. She transported cargo such as ore, coal, stone, and grain to ports throughout the Great Lakes, and was nicknamed "The Ship That Built Cleveland" because Cleveland's steel mills were a frequent destination. She was built in 1925 by Great Lakes Engineering Works as the flagship for the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company. In 1987, Cleveland-Cliffs donated the steamer William G. Mather to the Great Lakes Historical Society to be restored and preserved as a museum ship and floating maritime museum. In October 2006, William G. Mather was acquired by the Great Lakes Science Center. Today, the ship is a focal point for interpreting the relationship between technology, history, commerce, and the environment.
The museum is open from May through October.